Monday, August 24, 2009

"I" before "E", except after a few drinks.

I had a conversation with a friend the other day that got me thinking. She was comparing herself to me and called me an “Extrovert” while classifying herself as an “Introvert”. It gave me pause because this is a woman who performs. Like, gets on stage in front of hundreds of people and sings, dances, acts, etc.

I’ve never even done karaoke because the idea of getting up in front of people makes me want to vomit... just a little.... and then maybe pass out.

I never would have thought of her as an introvert, though, I suppose, after some consideration, I see her point. While she likes the spotlight, she definitely does not prefer the constant company of people. And the characters she plays on stage are a persona - not her. While people may be engaged in watching her, she is still alone on the stage. I wonder how many other performers are also introverts. Ironically, it seems to be rather fitting.

But that’s not to say that I would agree with her assessment of me as an extrovert. I spend a great deal of time stuck in my own head. (too much so, likely) I do a lot of inner exploration and I not only value my time alone, I require it. It’s my profession that has made me develop my extrovert side. I am a good communicator and I work in a field that utilizes that - it doesn’t mean that I would take the company of many over some time of solitude. I require a balance.

So, even with the many extrovert qualities I possess and exhibit, I would say I am an introvert primarily. I may participate in the outside world around me, but I tend to spend too much time living in my own inner world... thinking... trying to sort things out...

Unless I am drinking. When I drink, I tend to be far more engaged and crave the company of others. I am certainly an extrovert then.

But still not enough to do karaoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment